On Tuesday 24th May 2022, we welcomed esteemed guests from the Wellcome Sangher Institute and from the Social Action Research Group to lead an all-day workshop with our sixth formers, focusing on:
• Discussing RNA sequencing and its applications
• Raising awareness of the project in our communities
• Highlighting the need for diversity in research samples – Health inequalities, ethics of research data sets, what can we do as a community? Why might people not want to get involved in research?
• Pitching a science comms task – develop a resource on RNA sequencing and its application
• Our visitors commented on how professional, courteous and conscientious our students were – a real credit to our school community.
Students will now work on their independent projects before the exhibition in early July.
Many thanks to our guests below for their ongoing mentoring and support:
Fran Gale– Head of Science Engagement, Wellcome Connecting Science
Cindy Smidt – Science Engagement Officer, Wellcome Connecting Science
Professor Nicole Soranzo – Senior Group Leader, Wellcome Sanger Institute
Dr Nicole Staudt – Project Manager, Wellcome Sanger Institute
Feri Torabi, Research assistant, Wellcome Sanger Institute
Dr Sameena Iqbal, Bioresource manager, Wellcome Sanger Institute
Dr Matiss Ozols, Senior Bioinformatician, Wellcome Sanger Institute
Grainne Colligan, Project Manager, Social Action Research